Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Presensky Challenge

I had to think and rethink my response to the article. Initially, I thought that it would be crazy to offer any type of incentive to students but then I thought how I motivated I was, and to some extent still are, motivated to learn. While, yes I am an adult who understands the benefit of education and yes, I understand that the more I learn the more I earn, I also realize that maybe had I been offered something tangible I may have excelled in school. I think while most of us were not offered incentives to learn I may have taken a serious look at what was offered. Now working with students who don't know life without a microwave or a time where there was no MTV, how can I then compare their motivation to the motivation of many of my peers. I often wonder what would motivate students to achieve. After a conversation with a 10th grade student who has no support system outside of the school, I wonder if the lure of receiving an I-Pod would motivate her. Or even the student who has both parents at home and an Au Pair and feels they are doing it for "them", would they be more motivated by an incentive?
Presensky also mentions learning to "build robots that can compete and win prizes", this currently occurs in Montclair High School but it would be interesting if this was offered to all students not just those whom are "expected" to participate.

No comments: